Well, it was suppose to be Caramel Apple Pie. However, I pulled it out of the oven and didn’t wait for it to cool completely before digging into it so it became Caramel Apple Crumbled Pie because it fell apart as I was taking it out of the pan. It still tastes excellent it just doesn’t look as pretty.
This pie is the result of a caramel apple fail. My sister was over and attempted to make some caramel apples, but it the caramel just wasn’t sticking to the apples. So I decided to chop up the semi-caramel apples and make pie.
By the way, does anyone know the secret to getting the caramel to stick to apples?
Chopping the apples up was a bit of a sticky mess, but worth the effort.
I put as many apples as I could fit into the pie crust. I probably added too many apples, but it was a good thing.
Mix up some topping. I cheated and used Cinnamon Apple Instant Oatmeal. Using the flavored oatmeal worked perfectly. The spices were already in the packet so I just had to add flour and cut in some butter.
Topping on and ready to go in the oven.
Fresh out of the oven. Let pie cool til it is a nice warm temp. Otherwise it might fall apart when you try to remove it from the pan. You want to serve it warm -not piping hot- with whipped topping or ice cream.
- 5 cups chopped caramel apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 2 packets of apple cinnamon instant oatmeal
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup cold butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Chop caramel apples into bite size chunks, not including the core and seeds.
- If you prefer sweeter apples, toss apple with sugar, than place chopped apples in prepared pie crust.
- Combine 2 packets of apple cinnamon instant oatmeal with flour and cut in the cold butter.
- Pour topping over apples.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until fruit is tender.