Every year the New Year rolls around and lists of goals to be accomplished and resoutions to be met are created all around the world. My guess would be that almost nothing gets achieved after the lists are made. Life continues on, crazy as it always is, and the list gets tossed aside. What if, instead of creating a list of goals you are never going to even start to achieve, you decide to just make some simple changes that will improve every day living.
Here’s some ideas for simple changes to make a better you in 2011:
1. Schedule some “you” time at least once, preferably 2-3x, a week. I know, I know…everyone needs you, the house needs to be cleaned, laundry needs to be done, and dinner has to be made. However, if you don’t take care of you no one else will. Schedule a mom’s 30-minute time out. Take time to enjoy a cup of coffee, read a book, or just enjoy the silence. You’ll be more refreshed and have more energy. Your family will thank you.
2. Eat more fruits and veggies and less junk. Instead of buying a bag of chips. Buy a bag of peanuts. Same satisfying crunch, but peanuts are chuck full of protein and, in my opinion, better for you. (disclaimer: I am not a medical or health professional…this is strickly my opinion as a mom)
3. Make your bed every morning. Just like your mom taught you. There is something about walking into a room at night with the bed made that makes you happy. I love seeing my bed neatly made just waiting for me to cozy in for a peaceful sleep.
4. Utilized your library more. Borrowing books from the library instead of buying them can save you a lot of money. Use some of those saved dollars towards paying down debt or putting it in a “fun” fund. Our library is rather small, but we can borrow books from anywhere in Michigan through their inter library loan program. That makes just about any book available to me.
5. Drink more water. Yes, I’m a firm believer in drinking lots of water. It keeps your skin hydrated and your body healthy.
It really is the little everyday things that we do that make our lives better. Toss out those New Year goals and focus on the things that make you happy. Take daily baby steps along the way to achieve a better you in 2011.
disclaimer: I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Simply Orange® blogging program. If I am one of the first 65 blogs received by SocialsMoms, I will receive a $25 Target gift card and a gift pack that includes a Simply Orange® cooler bag and logoed fleece.