The other day as I was browsing through my google reader I came across a post by Chiot’s Run (great gardening site, beautiful photos) about the Damariscotta Pumpkin Fest & Regatta. Needless to say I was intrigued.
Here’s the fun thing about that festival. They race HUGE pumpkins down the river while they are sitting in them. Now, some of you may have already known about this, but it was news to me. Think I’m kidding??? Head over to Chiot’s Run and check it out–the photos are about half way down the page. Emma and I LOVED it! We decided right then and there that next year we need to go to this festival.
After reading through the post I realized that there is a whole world of interesting and unusual festivals that I’ve never known about. I started doing some research to see what I could find. Here’s some other’s that sound interesting and a little bizarre:
- Roswell UFO Festival; Roswell, Arizona; July
- Chandler Ostrich Festival; Chandler, Arizona; March
- World Cow Chip Throwing Championship; Beaver, OK; April (um, do Americans have a thing for poo or what???)
- Annual Summer Redneck Games; East Dublin, Georgia; July (Bring it!!!)
- Outhouse Classic; Trenary, MI; Feb (They race outhouse down a ski hill. This is right in my home state and I never knew about it. You can betcha I’ll be there this coming February.)
- RC & Moon Pies Festival; Bell Buckle, Tennessee; June
- Kentucky Bourbon Festival; Bardstown, Kentucky; September
- Damariscotta Pumpkin Fest & Regatta; Damariscotta, Maine; October
I’d like your help in expanding this list. I would love it if I could find at least 2 unusual, fun, or bizarre festivals from each state. Please leave a comment about any unusual festivals you’ve heard of or gone to. I’d really appreciate it. I hear some road trips calling my name.