So tired of the daily grind. I’ve been in this soul sucking job for 8 years now, making money for the man and getting nothing (except my bills paid) in return. I swear this job has dumbed me down. I won’t go into the details, but the only reason I stay is for the money. It pays well for our area. My kids expect food and shelter. Therefore, I stay.
However, I’ve recently started plotting my escape. I’m 40 and time is ticking away faster than I ever remember. (one of my favorite phrases: life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end the faster it goes). I hear a story almost everyday of someone younger than me that has just dropped dead. I kinda think it’s God’s way of smacking me upside the head and telling me to do something with my life.
Anyways, my current escape plan is looking something like this:
- Suck it up and work as long as possible while putting every possible penny in the bank (more on this in a future post). Looks like maybe July 2011.
- Start researching and educating myself about mobile forms of income (Affiliate Marketing, Writing, Stock Photography, etc—if you have any suggestions or other ideas, please leave a comment)
- Finish reading and then re-read The Art of Non-Conformity by Chris Guillebeau (If you have any desire to break free from the 9-5 this is the place to start, imo) Btw, I paid the full $14.95 for this book (wanted to support my local bookstore). I see that Amazon is offering a crazy low price for it….well worth it. Chris is currently on a book tour in the U.S. He’s going to every state. I made my sister go to his event in Rhode Island (she’d never heard of Chris). I actually nagged the hell out of her to go. She went and loved it! That being said, we are both ready for big changes in our life. However, if you are very satisfied and happy with your life style than this book and event wouldn’t be worth your time.
- Find a good home schooling program for Emma. (will need 10th grade curriculum)
- Make sure all financial information is written out clearly and concisely for Alan who has no desire to travel and will hold down the fort while Em and I are away.
- Investigate house sitting opportunities in the U.S. and around the world (more info about this in my next post…stay tuned….)
Well, that’s a start anyways.
Do you live a mobile, location independent life style? If so, please leave a blog link or email in the comments I would love to talk with you.
Do I need to change my blog title to Just Crazy?? Maybe I’ve finally crossed over from “short of” to completely nuts.
Cheers from the “Happy Bus”,