B.B. made a new friend last weekend (we were dog sitting for a friend). Just had to share cause its so cute!
In other news….We’ve been keeping pretty busy here. The kids are all back to school. We have two seniors in the house (our son & his best friend who lives with us) and our daughter is in 8th grade. It seems like shortly after school began the kids brought home colds (go figure) and now I have it. I told Alan I don’t really have time to be sick–I’m trying to push through though. We are looking to buy a chest freezer. The freezer that’s with the fridge is way too small and is already packed to capacity. We’ve put up applesauce, blueberries, squash, and jam(both raspberry & strawberry).
Here’s the process we used to make the applesauce. We bought a 1/2 bushel of apples from the farmers market.
1. Rinse apples
2. Cut into quarters (no peeling or coring required).
3. Cook in large pan until really soft
4. Scoop out and put in this nifty sieve thingy Use wooden tool to push apples through the itty bitty holes. The good stuff goes into the bowl, the peel and core stay in the sieve–easy peasy.
5. Add sugar to taste
6. Place in freezer safe containers.
7. Let cool then freeze. 100x better than store bought!! We have another bushel of apples that we need to preserve, but have to find a new freezer first.
What have you been harvesting/preserving??